Spring is in the air here in Winnipeg and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Kirkfield Heating & Air Conditioning team has some helpful advice that will work to keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home look as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to correspond with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your awesome trip on social media, but try to hold off until after you make it home to post photos of your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to save some energy while you’re out of town is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Kirkfield Heating & Air Conditioning in Winnipeg a call at 204-272-8128.