Whether you enjoy winter or favor the warmer months in Winnipeg, a lot of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a huge impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it should be changed. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can set temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The professionals at Kirkfield Heating & Air Conditioning can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Kirkfield Heating & Air Conditioning in Winnipeg a call to start down the right path. Contact our team at 204-272-8128 or schedule an appointment with us online.